The following general pre-operative instructions should be followed closely, except when overruled by specific procedural instructions.
Two Weeks Prior to Surgery
- NO ASPIRIN or medicines that contain aspirin since it interferes with normal blood clotting.
- NO IBUPROFEN or medicines containing ibuprofen as it interferes with blood clotting.
- Please DISCONTINUE ALL HERBAL MEDICATIONS as many have side effects that could complicate a surgical procedure by inhibiting blood clotting, affecting blood pressure, or interfering with anesthetics.
- Please DISCONTINUE ALL DIET PILLS whether prescription, over-the-counter or herbal as many will interfere with anesthesia and can cause cardiovascular concerns.
- NO "MEGADOSES" OF VITAMIN E, but a multiple vitamin that contains E is just fine.
- NO SMOKING is mandatory for face lifts, breast lifts, thigh/body lifts and tummy tucks because nicotine reduces blood flow to the skin and can cause significant complications during healing.
- You may take Tylenol or generic forms of this drug. These do not interfere with blood clotting or healing.
- Start taking a multivitamin each day and continue taking through your recovery. The healthier you are, the quicker your recovery will be.
One Week Prior to Surgery
- Limit alcohol for one week prior to surgery and one week after surgery as these can interfere with anesthesia and affect blood clotting.
- If your skin tolerates, use a germ-inhibiting soap for bathing, such as Dial®, Safeguard®, or Lever 2000® for at least the week before surgery.
- DO report any signs of cold, infection, boils, or pustules appearing before surgery.
- DO NOT take any cough or cold medications without permission.
- DO arrange for a responsible adult to drive you to and from the facility on the day of surgery, since you will not be allowed to leave on your own.
- DO arrange for a responsible individual to spend the first 24 hours with you, since you CANNOT be left alone.
For more information about our Lexington and Louisville, Kentucky, cosmetic plastic surgery procedures, follow the links at the top of the screen. When you are ready to talk with our doctors in person, you can request a consultation online or call (502) 899-9979 to schedule your visit to CaloAesthetics Plastic Surgery Center.