Day of Surgery
Please follow the instructions below the night before and day of your surgery:
- DO NOT eat or drink anything (not even water) after midnight the night before your surgery. Also, no gum, candy, mints or coffee the morning of surgery. Do not sneak anything as this may endanger you.
- If you are on regular medications, please inform one of the nurses or your doctor.
- DO take a thorough shower with your germ-inhibiting soap, such as Dial® soap the night before and the morning of surgery. Shampoo your hair the morning of surgery. This is to decrease the bacteria on the skin and thereby decrease the risk of infection.
- DO NOT apply any of the following to your skin, hair, or face the morning of surgery: makeup, creams, lotions, hair gels, sprays, perfumes, powder, or deodorant. Using any of these products will add bacteria to the skin and increase the risk of infection.
- You may brush your teeth the morning of surgery but do not drink anything.
- DO NOT wear contacts to surgery. If you do wear glasses, bring your eyeglass case.
- DO wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothes that do not have to be put on over your head. The best thing to wear home is a button-up top and pull on pants. You will want easy-to-slip-on flat shoes.
- DO NOT bring any valuables or wear any jewelry (no rings, earrings, chains, toe rings, other metal piercings or watches). We will need to tape wedding rings if worn.
- You must have an adult drive for you – to and from surgery. Please note that a cab or bus driver will not be allowed to take you home after surgery. On arrival, be sure we know your driver's name, phone numbers, and how we will be able to reach them.
- If you are not recovering at home, it is very important that we have the number where you will be after surgery.
Going to the Operating Room
Going to the operating room is not a normal experience for most of us. Dr. Calobrace, Dr. Mays and all of the professional staff caring for you recognize the natural anxiety with which most patients approach this step in the process of achieving their goals. We believe a description of the surgery experience will be helpful.
Your surgery will be performed at our Surgery Center. Specialists using modern equipment and techniques will attend to you. When you arrive at CaloAesthetics Plastic Surgery Center on your surgery day, you will enter through the private surgery entrance and then will be escorted to the surgery suite. You will be asked to change into a gown and robe. The nurse or the anesthesiologist will start an intravenous drip in your arm. Your doctor and the anesthesiologist will meet with you before surgery. This is the time for final surgical planning; it is also when we will do basic preparation or draw on your skin as needed. There will be time for last-minute questions. The staff will do everything they can to make you feel secure. You will feel comfortable on our deeply padded operating table. At the same time, to ensure your safety, our staff will connect you to monitoring devices. Medicines that will make you drowsy will flow through the tubing into a vein in your arm.
In the Recovery Room
When your surgery has been completed and your dressings are in place, you will be transferred to the recovery room. You will be connected to monitoring equipment constantly. During this period, a fully-trained nurse will take care of you and remain with you at all times.
Your stay in the recovery room will last approximately one hour, depending on how soon you are ready to leave. Most patients are fully awake within 30 to 60 minutes after surgery but may not remember much about their stay in the recovery room. When you are ready to leave the recovery room, your adult friend or family member should be available to take you home and stay with you for a minimum of 24 hours.
For more information about our Lexington and Louisville cosmetic surgery procedures, follow the links at the top of the screen. When you are ready to take the first step, you can request a consultation online or call (502) 899-9979 to schedule your visit to CaloAesthetics Plastic Surgery Center.
Discover The Perks
CaloPerks is our in–house rewards program designed to help you save big on the treatments you love.Learn More