I tell my breast augmentation patients in Louisville and Lexington that the decision to undergo surgery is only the beginning. That is the first of many choices you’ll make regarding your breast augmentation. Size and shape are two important factors to weigh when choosing the right implants for you, but today’s implants offer many other refinements that allow you to customize the look and feel of your results.
Here are some of the things you’ll want to think about when choosing implants:
- Your Goals: Have a vision of what you want to look like after your surgery. Try to bring in pictures of desired results and review before-and-after photos on our site. Keep in mind that implants do not look the same on everyone. Just because one type and size looks great on someone else, doesn’t mean it is the right fit for you. Having realistic expectations for your results is a must.
- Anatomy: Another thing to consider is your personal anatomy, specifically the broadness of your chest, the amount of existing breast tissue, and the quality of your skin. Your surgeon will be able to suggest what type and size of implant will work best with your physical characteristics.
- Vectra Imaging: Vectra® 3-D is an advanced software that produces a three-dimensional image of the patient’s existing appearance that can be manipulated to produce images of any number of possible outcomes. Sometimes, as a patient, it is hard to communicate exactly what you want. This is a great way to bridge the gap between patients and surgeons when it comes to expectations.
- Types and Sizes: Implants can either be filled with saline or silicone. They can be round or anatomically (teardrop) shaped. They come in various sizes and profiles (projections) and can be smooth or textured. We offer Sientra® silicone implants that are only available to board-certified surgeons. You can choose how you want your implants to look and feel.
- Doctor’s Experienced Opinion: Your surgeon has your best interest in mind. He or she wants you to be happy with your results, but also wants to ensure quality, longevity, and safety. Your surgeon will help you decide and give you recommendations on what he or she thinks is your best option.
It is common for people to focus only on the size of the implant, but it’s important to keep in mind that the type, shape, and profile are also crucial in creating your desired result. This may seem a bit overwhelming at first, but with the help of a trusted plastic surgeon, you will make the right decision. If you would like to learn more about which implants are right for you, contact us or call our office at (502) 899-9979 to schedule an appointment.